Custom variable change notifies broker module

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Sep 19 12:13:12 CEST 2011

On 09/17/2011 01:52 PM, Michael Friedrich wrote:
> On 16.09.2011 08:25, Matthieu Kermagoret wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Andreas Ericsson<ae at op5.se>   wrote:
>>> I take it you want this for mk_livestatus for some reason? I won't
>>> add it unless there's a usecase for it, and the potential case
>>> where ndoutils might need it isn't strong enough for that. A used
>>> module wanting this to make it more effective would be a strong
>>> incentive to put it in though.
>>>

>> I have no incentive to propose. This was just a solution to provide an
>> effective way for modules to get notified of custom variable updates
>> (like NDOUtils which just dump all host/service variables at each
>> status update). However as you said, this could be done through
>> external commands so never mind.
>
> i did not yet jump onto that, as i know that ndoutils do not process
> adaptive data currently (the code remarks TODO). even though i think
> providing such methods and adding more callbacks to current NEB would be
> a good idea either way and open more (legal) possibilities for neb modules.
>
> so +1 from my side.

I'd still like a usecase though, otherwise this is just codechurn and
noone is helped by adding it. Taking patches that "might be good one day"
is the worst kind of maintainer insanity and leads to unmaintainable
spaghetti code that noone dares touch because removing features others
might use is far far worse than not adding them before they're used in
the first place.

Nuff said.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

BlackBerry® mobile platform with sessions, labs & more.
See new tools and technologies. Register for BlackBerry® DevCon today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-devcon-copy1