Custom variable change notifies broker module

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Mon Sep 19 12:45:43 CEST 2011

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> On 09/17/2011 01:52 PM, Michael Friedrich wrote:
>>>>

>>> I have no incentive to propose. This was just a solution to provide an
>>> effective way for modules to get notified of custom variable updates
>>> (like NDOUtils which just dump all host/service variables at each
>>> status update). However as you said, this could be done through
>>> external commands so never mind.
>>
>> i did not yet jump onto that, as i know that ndoutils do not process
>> adaptive data currently (the code remarks TODO). even though i think
>> providing such methods and adding more callbacks to current NEB would be
>> a good idea either way and open more (legal) possibilities for neb modules.
>>
>> so +1 from my side.
>>

> I'd still like a usecase though, otherwise this is just codechurn and
> noone is helped by adding it. Taking patches that "might be good one day"
> is the worst kind of maintainer insanity and leads to unmaintainable
> spaghetti code that noone dares touch because removing features others
> might use is far far worse than not adding them before they're used in
> the first place.
>
> Nuff said.

it's ok - i won't touch it either until i get a valuable use case for
it. and ever since the ndo/ido callbacks don't take it for now this
should remain a todo when neb modules are ready for usage.
until then the patch could be saved somewhere on the bug tracker not to
lose it in here.

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email: 	michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
phone: 	+43 1 4277 14359
mobile: +43 664 60277 14359
fax: 	+43 1 4277 14338
web:	http://www.univie.ac.at/zid
	http://www.aco.net

Icinga Core&  IDOUtils Developer
http://www.icinga.org

BlackBerry® mobile platform with sessions, labs & more.
See new tools and technologies. Register for BlackBerry® DevCon today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-devcon-copy1