BUG: servicegroup and (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing) in status information

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon May 9 10:07:49 CEST 2011

On 05/09/2011 08:56 AM, Roberto Oppedisano wrote:
> I have a nagios 3.2.3 running on a debian squeeze amd64 where I'm seeing
> a lot of
>
> (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)
>
> in the status information. This is not related to plugin or service
> (mis)configuration since the very same plugins work for other service
> definitions (the configuration is created via script from a DB, so the
> service definitions are pretty consistent).
>
> If I completely remove the service-group, leaving definitions the
> problem goes completely away.
>
> It seems to me that the problem does not happen with perl plugins (I did
> the transition from a check interface C plugin derived from chech_snmp
> to the equivalent check_ifoperstatus perl plugin and the problem
> disappeared for>2000 services); at the moment the problem impacts on
> 500+ service checks out of 8250+ (mainly the standard check_ping but
> also check_snmp).
>
> The very same configuration works ok on a nagios 2.9 installation (the
> production one which we'd like to upgrade to 3.2.x)
> I have verified the problem on the standard debian squeeze package
> (3.2.1) and on a self compiled 3.2.3 package (taken from debian sid
> repository).
>
> I've uploaded the service-group definitions on
> http://62.196.71.254/nagios-dev/servicegroups.cfg.gz

Are you using the "$SERVICEGROUPMEMBERS$" macro in your commands?
If so, it's quite likely you're running into the environment limit
so the command fails completely. If you're also using embedded perl,
that would explain why you don't see the error when using perl plugins.

I fail to see how that macro can be relevant for checks though, but
that's the only thing I can think of.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/whatsupgold-sd