BUG: servicegroup and (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing) in status information

Roberto Oppedisano roberto.oppedisano at infracom.it
Mon May 9 08:56:30 CEST 2011

I have a nagios 3.2.3 running on a debian squeeze amd64 where I'm seeing
a lot of

(Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)

in the status information. This is not related to plugin or service
(mis)configuration since the very same plugins work for other service
definitions (the configuration is created via script from a DB, so the
service definitions are pretty consistent).

If I completely remove the service-group, leaving definitions the
problem goes completely away.

It seems to me that the problem does not happen with perl plugins (I did
the transition from a check interface C plugin derived from chech_snmp
to the equivalent check_ifoperstatus perl plugin and the problem
disappeared for >2000 services); at the moment the problem impacts on
500+ service checks out of 8250+ (mainly the standard check_ping but
also check_snmp).

The very same configuration works ok on a nagios 2.9 installation (the
production one which we'd like to upgrade to 3.2.x)
I have verified the problem on the standard debian squeeze package
(3.2.1) and on a self compiled 3.2.3 package (taken from debian sid
repository).

I've uploaded the service-group definitions on
http://62.196.71.254/nagios-dev/servicegroups.cfg.gz

More info on request.
Kind regards,

http://p.sf.net/sfu/whatsupgold-sd