BUG: servicegroup and (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing) in status information

Roberto Oppedisano roberto.oppedisano at infracom.it
Mon May 9 10:27:35 CEST 2011

Il 09/05/2011 10:07, Andreas Ericsson ha scritto:
> On 05/09/2011 08:56 AM, Roberto Oppedisano wrote:
>> I have a nagios 3.2.3 running on a debian squeeze amd64 where I'm seeing
>> a lot of
>>
>> (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)
>>
>> in the status information. This is not related to plugin or service
>> (mis)configuration since the very same plugins work for other service
>> definitions (the configuration is created via script from a DB, so the
>> service definitions are pretty consistent).
>>
>> If I completely remove the service-group definitions the
>> problem goes completely away.
>>
>> It seems to me that the problem does not happen with perl plugins (I did
>> the transition from a check interface C plugin derived from chech_snmp
>> to the equivalent check_ifoperstatus perl plugin and the problem
>> disappeared for>2000 services); at the moment the problem impacts on
>> 500+ service checks out of 8250+ (mainly the standard check_ping but
>> also check_snmp).
>>
>> The very same configuration works ok on a nagios 2.9 installation (the
>> production one which we'd like to upgrade to 3.2.x)
>> I have verified the problem on the standard debian squeeze package
>> (3.2.1) and on a self compiled 3.2.3 package (taken from debian sid
>> repository).
>>
>> I've uploaded the service-group definitions on
>> http://62.196.71.254/nagios-dev/servicegroups.cfg.gz
> Are you using the "$SERVICEGROUPMEMBERS$" macro in your commands?
> If so, it's quite likely you're running into the environment limit
> so the command fails completely. If you're also using embedded perl,
> that would explain why you don't see the error when using perl plugins.
>
> I fail to see how that macro can be relevant for checks though, but
> that's the only thing I can think of.
I can confirm that embedded perl is enabled. From a quick look done with:

root at cpq-deb05:/etc/nagios3# grep SERVICEGROUPMEMBERS * */*
../nagios-plugins/config/*

it seems to me that we're not using that macro anywhere.

Kind regards

Roberto Oppedisano [RO2480-RIPE]
Infracom Italia S.p.A.                         Sistemi Informativi
Tel. +39 045 9692691   Fax  +39 045 8271499   Mob. +39 348 7419534

http://p.sf.net/sfu/whatsupgold-sd