Feature Idea

Breandan Dezendorf breandan at dezendorf.com
Thu Feb 3 16:45:37 CET 2011

> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 12:10 -0800, Keith Shannon wrote:
>> I think a great plugin idea for Nagios that if added to Nagios-XI I
>> would purchase it instead of using the free version... Anyways it
>> would be amazing to be able to monitor end user Anti-virus and
>> anti-malware compliance. If there was someway to detect what was
>> installed and after detecting that know when they last updated etc...
>> etc... I know it would be difficult because there are lots of
>> different AV's out there but even if it just supported a few of them
>> that would be an insanely useful product.

Our Windows guys wrote a powershell script that we call via NRPE from
our nagios server to make sure one of two backup clients is installed
and working, and a separate check to make sure the A/V software we
have licensed is installed and running.  We then add that check to all
our monitored windows hosts by adding all the servers to a
Windows-BaseOS Hostgroup.  I'm not at liberty to share their code, but
if you know powershell (or any windows scripting language) and are
willing to install/configure NRPE, you can do it for little if any
monetary cost.

--
Breandan Dezendorf
breandan at dezendorf.com