Feature Idea

Tony Yarusso tyarusso at nagios.com
Wed Feb 2 23:51:27 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 12:10 -0800, Keith Shannon wrote:
> I think a great plugin idea for Nagios that if added to Nagios-XI I
> would purchase it instead of using the free version... Anyways it
> would be amazing to be able to monitor end user Anti-virus and
> anti-malware compliance. If there was someway to detect what was
> installed and after detecting that know when they last updated etc...
> etc... I know it would be difficult because there are lots of
> different AV's out there but even if it just supported a few of them
> that would be an insanely useful product.

That's an interesting idea to be sure.  The components to be able to do
this probably already exist, depending on what the various AV products
expose.  For instance, I know it's possible to check running Windows
services, which the monitoring daemon should show up in, and event logs,
which I would imagine should contain information about the last
definition database update.  The trick then would be finding out the
particulars of the different AV solutions and packaging it up into a
pretty wizard.  I don't know that it would be a particularly high
priority, but I'd be happy to keep that one rolling around somewhere -
is there a particular AV product you prefer that perhaps we could target
first when the time comes?

Meanwhile, these mailing lists are generally devoted to the open source
Nagios Core product, rather than Nagios XI.  For further discussion
about XI things, I'd recommend using our support forum
(http://support.nagios.com/forum/) or e-mailing one of us directly.

--
Tony Yarusso
Technical Team