Memory leak in Nagios 3.3.1

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Aug 23 14:02:10 CEST 2011

Hey all.

I just stumbled across a memory leak in Nagios 3.3.1 which causes about
500 bytes of data (the exact amount varies with contact names, notification
types, acknowledgement comments etc) to be lost on each notification
opportunity (that is, when a host or service triggers a notification that
actually gets sent to one or more contacts).

The leak isn't big and will take a long time to cripple a running system,
but you should be aware of it even so and take appropriate measures to
avoid any negative impact on your production systems. A weekly restart
should prevent leak buildups from reaching anywhere near critical levels.
An update to the latest Nagios from subversion should also do the trick.

More testing is in progress though, so cautious users (ie, the ones not
yet running 3.3.1 anyway) should probably give it a week or two until
upgrading.

Cheers

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.