Nagios Docs in Nagios 3.3.1

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 25 10:10:38 CEST 2011

On 08/24/2011 10:56 PM, Jochen Bern wrote:
> On 08/24/2011 05:53 PM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> Do you really mean to say you don't have internet access from your
>> workstations? That sounds... odd, to say the very least.
>
> To anyone whose services aren't accessible from the public Internet -
> telcos, government, military, utilities, some banks, you name it -,
> adding Internet access to the same machines which manage the IT is first
> and foremost a security risk. Granted, they're also noticeably harder to
> get sold on uncertified software like Nagios in the first place.
>
> By the way, if Nagios goes the way of "online docs only", does that mean
> that the nagios.org webservers will once again provide older versions of
> the docs, along with the current one? It's sorta nice to work with docs
> which are in agreement with your installed software ...

Right. I was thinking the docs was brought in by reference to the browser
requesting the page(s), but I see now that main.php (at least) does a lot
of network accesses itself. I think the best bet is to just remove those
calls in an offline setup.

As for companies that have no internet access whatsoever, I'm guessing
their admins are used to having to tweak software to take care of such
problems, so I'm not overly concerned with making life easy for them.

Patches to make the default install rely only on the person browsing the
Nagios install having internet access would be most welcome though. The
easiest way to do that is probably by making the pages requiring the
server to be online links from the main ones.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.