CVS, SVN, and GIT - Oh My!

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Mon Oct 4 08:53:10 CEST 2010

Ethan Galstad wrote:
> There's been a few mentions of switching to git for the Nagios Core
> code.  The original plan a while back was to switch from CVS to Git
> "Real Soon Now" (tm), but I was the major holdup because I didn't have
> time to learn Yet Another Source Code Management System.

Ok.
> Since my time never gets any freer, CVS is king for Nagios Core for the
> foreseeable future.  I can easily handle CVS and SVN, but I don't have
> enough free time to wrap my head around the Git and Bazaar concepts to
> ensure they would actually work for me for Core.

For you or for the core team? I think Ton and Andreas are not
comfortable using CVS instead of GIT which makes backporting unified
diffs the main problem. Like sending patches and applying them. No
offense @Andreas, but I didn't see any CVS commits on your stage. Maybe
we can hear what Ton and Andreas think about that decision...

Use twitter @fatherofnagios

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email: 	michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
phone: 	+43 1 4277 14359
fax: 	+43 1 4277 14279
web:	http://www.univie.ac.at/zid

Icinga Core&  IDOUtils Developer
http://www.icinga.org

Virtualization is moving to the mainstream and overtaking non-virtualized
environment for deploying applications. Does it make network security
easier or more difficult to achieve? Read this whitepaper to separate the
two and get a better understanding.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/hp-phase2-d2d