CVS, SVN, and GIT - Oh My!

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Oct 4 11:46:58 CEST 2010

On 10/04/2010 08:53 AM, Michael Friedrich wrote:
> Ethan Galstad wrote:
>> Since my time never gets any freer, CVS is king for Nagios Core for the
>> foreseeable future.  I can easily handle CVS and SVN, but I don't have
>> enough free time to wrap my head around the Git and Bazaar concepts to
>> ensure they would actually work for me for Core.
>>

> For you or for the core team? I think Ton and Andreas are not
> comfortable using CVS instead of GIT which makes backporting unified
> diffs the main problem. Like sending patches and applying them. No
> offense @Andreas, but I didn't see any CVS commits on your stage. Maybe
> we can hear what Ton and Andreas think about that decision...

I've shipped some patches to CVS, but not very many. CVS is a hassle that
keeps getting in my way. We're about to review and upgrade Nagios in op5
Monitor now though, so expect some patches (the ones that have been
brewing in my patch queue at least), to be exported to CVS in the next
3-4 weeks.

Moving to SVN would make my life a bit easier, since git<->svn integration
works quite well. Or I could hack up a "gvs" wrapper that does everything
exactly like cvs does it but works on a git repository instead. Getting
away from CVS would be a move in the right direction, since not even the
CVS team recommends using it anymore and it hasn't been worked on since
May 2008.

I could live with CVS too if I really have to, but it means patches from
me will be left hanging until I have time to fiddle with the cvs export
commit script.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

Virtualization is moving to the mainstream and overtaking non-virtualized
environment for deploying applications. Does it make network security
easier or more difficult to achieve? Read this whitepaper to separate the
two and get a better understanding.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/hp-phase2-d2d