alternative scheduler

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Nov 24 21:45:58 CET 2010

Forgive me if this is slightly off the wall, but I saw a telly program
a while ago which mentioned that prime numbers are great for getting
otherwise in-sync things to shuffle about so they fit together nicely
(think seeds on the head of a sunflower).

So my holistic, organic and probably even vegan advice for nice smooth
scheduling in Nagios is always use a prime number for the
check_interval.  And choose various different prime numbers for
different service checks.  You know it makes sense ...

I actually did this on my previous Nagios (v2) system.  I like to
think it worked too.  My newer (v3) system has more cpus so I'm not so
fussed, but tbh it's getting quite busy now so I might just out some
primes in there again and see if it helps.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intelisp-dev2dev