alternative scheduler

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Nov 24 17:57:40 CET 2010

On 11/24/2010 02:22 PM, Max Schubert wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> You are running 150k active checks per 5 minutes on a virtual
> machine?!   Wow!

674760, apparently. I wrote about it on http://blogs.op5.org, so go
check it out there if you're interested.

Although my memory lied to me, so I lied to you. Those numbers were
for physical hardware. Quite low-end machines with 512 - 1024M RAM
and 2-4 quite old cores in a single cpu.

>  I remember you echoing in the not too distant past
> what many of us have experienced - that timing skew and I/O
> performance on virtual machines make them bad candidates for Nagios -
> what kind of VM set up are you using that has changed your mind?

None. I still think it's a really bad idea to run production Nagios in
a virtual server. We primarily use kvm in our lab though, and that
seems to at least work a lot better than VMWare.

> Are your checks all c-based?

Yes, and none of them really do anything except print a random string,
exiting with a random exit-code (although it's 0 62.5% of the times)
and sleep up to 12 seconds before exiting half the times it's run.

The idea was to check the throughput of Merlin, not the performance
of actual checks. With real checks, I expect the load would have been
quite a bit higher and latency would've started creeping up on us.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intelisp-dev2dev