featurerequest: object's variables

Dmitry E. Oboukhov unera at debian.org
Sun Nov 21 01:50:36 CET 2010

Hi, All!

First of all, sorry for my bad English :)

I've begun to use nagios3 now, it is great tool.

I think there is a feature which is lacked in it: object's variables.

To explain I'll try to make an example...

For example we have a few hosts with ssh-service.

we create their descriptions:

define host {
    host_name   host1
    address     address1
}

define host {
    host_name   host2
    address     address2
}

then we union them into one hostgroup (they all have ssh service)

define hostgroup {
    hostgroup_name  ssh-hosts
    members         host1, host2
}

then we create a service to check if ssh is (are) ok:

define service {
    hostgroup_name      ssh-hosts
    service_description SSH
    check_command       check_ssh
}

Here we have one problem which can't be solved finely:
If host1 and host2 have ssh server on different ports we must create
two service or must create our own check_ssh which will contain
database host => port.

If nagios provides object's (host/hostgroup/service/etc) variables,
this problem could be solve gracefully:

define host {
    host_name   host1
    address     address1
    variable    port=22
}

define host {
    host_name   host2
    address     address2
    variable    port=23
}

define service {
    hostgroup_name      ssh-hosts
    service_description SSH
    check_command       check_ssh_port!$host.port$
}

What do You think?

PS: This was an *example* of problem.

Second example: we have nagios in USA and a few servers in Europe.
ping's eta can be different. Using object's variables we can union all
hosts in one service. etc

Also service's variables would be useful, too

sorry for my English, again
--

. ''`.                               Dmitry E. Oboukhov
: :’  :   email: unera at debian.org jabber://UNera@uvw.ru