Database access via Nagios

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Thu Mar 18 13:54:23 CET 2010

I appreciate the corrections and apologize for my mis-statements about
merlin architecture.  .  We are basing some work we are doinbg with
distributed Nagios on Merlin so it is very encouraging to hear about
your work on making the schema more scalable.  I will definitely check
out that white paper and will recommend it to my teammates as well.

Max

On 3/18/10, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
> On 03/16/2010 07:04 PM, Max wrote:
>> Ninja reads Nagios information from the database tables created by
>> Merlin, which has both a NEB module and a daemon (merlind) that reads
>> from / writes to the NEB module.
>>

> A partial truth. Ninja also uses the data stored by reports-module.
> Reports-module will be made redundant and its features incorporated
> into Merlin at a later stage, but since the reports-module is very
> widely tested we've decided to forgo including this feature in
> Merlin for the time being.
>
>> The Merlin database schema is very similar to the NDO database schema
>> with the addition of some fields to allow for multiple merlin daemons
>> to write to a single database (TBD - currently the daemons all use the
>> same hardcoded instance ID in the DB).
>>

> This isn't true at all though. Merlin's object storage model is a lot
> simpler than that of [ni]doutils. We made it that way since this made
> it possible to write simpler and much more efficient queries for it,
> with the added bonus of being a lot easier to understand.
>
> Some basic testing showed that the ndoutils schema did not scale
> linearly with the number of objects monitored. Merlin's schema does.
>
> --
> Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
> OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
> Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231
>
> Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
> terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
> on peace.

Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev