Database access via Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Mar 18 13:09:08 CET 2010

On 03/16/2010 07:04 PM, Max wrote:
> Ninja reads Nagios information from the database tables created by
> Merlin, which has both a NEB module and a daemon (merlind) that reads
> from / writes to the NEB module.

A partial truth. Ninja also uses the data stored by reports-module.
Reports-module will be made redundant and its features incorporated
into Merlin at a later stage, but since the reports-module is very
widely tested we've decided to forgo including this feature in
Merlin for the time being.

> The Merlin database schema is very similar to the NDO database schema
> with the addition of some fields to allow for multiple merlin daemons
> to write to a single database (TBD - currently the daemons all use the
> same hardcoded instance ID in the DB).

This isn't true at all though. Merlin's object storage model is a lot
simpler than that of [ni]doutils. We made it that way since this made
it possible to write simpler and much more efficient queries for it,
with the added bonus of being a lot easier to understand.

Some basic testing showed that the ndoutils schema did not scale
linearly with the number of objects monitored. Merlin's schema does.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev