Database access via Nagios

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Mar 16 19:05:16 CET 2010

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [Nagios-devel] Database access via Nagios
From: Mohammed Murphy <mohammed.murphy at tandberg.com>
To: Nagios Developers List <nagios-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: 2010-03-16 17:26

> Thanks. I will take a look into the Event Broker stuff.
>
> But just out of interest, does anyone know how the NINJA and NBOARD web
> front-ends access stored Nagios data?

Ninja is based on Merlin, which is an event broker module just like NDOUtils.
Merlin uses the libdbi as rdbms abstraction layer, just like IDOUtils do. NDOUtils currently depend on mysql.h with no direct abstraction layer.

libdbi is capable of adding mysql, postgres, mssql as libdbi-drivers. Oracle support is broken which is why IDOUtils use ocilib as Oracle abstraction layer.
Furthermore the api of libdbi is a bit unstable, and does not support several features just like prepared statements.

To answer your question, Merlin supports MySQL, regarding Postgres I haven't look at non-sql-standard queries. But by chance you will get that supported too.

And well - if you try to support different RDBMS within your application, it will get tricky. If it's in C drop me an email off-list - I think there might be some coding hints availaible in other
locations.

Kind regards,
Michael