Mass define servicedependency for NRPE services

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Wed Sep 2 03:41:46 CEST 2009

On 01/09/09 09:02 PM, Mathieu Gagné wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The subject has already been discussed on this mailinglist but all
> solutions I found did not satisfied my needs.
>
> I would like to be able to create a servicedependency for each service
> hosted on a host with NRPE installed against the NRPE service itself.
>
> Unfortunately, servicedependency does not allow you to massively define
> service dependencies against a single service hosted on the same host as
> the service.

This had been implemented in Nagios 3, all you have to do is taking out
the dependent_host[group]_name directive and the dependency will only
affect services within their respective host.

> Basically, I don't want to have to define a servicedependency for each
> host that has NRPE installed on it and even less for each NRPE based
> service.
>
> I would like to be able to use this definition:
>
> define servicedependency {
>
>    ; NRPE service for each hosts referred by services in nrpe-services
>    ;   The NRPE service has previously been mass-defined on all hosts
>    ;   with NRPE installed using a host template
>    service_description             NRPE
>
>    ; Every NRPE based services
>    ;   Each NRPE based service is added to nrpe-services
>    ;   using a service template
>    dependent_servicegroup_name     nrpe-services
>
>    execution_failure_criteria      n
>    notification_failure_criteria   c,u
> }

Just add the host_name or hostgroup_name directive (you can put all
hostgroups for instance, or enable wildcards and use *) and you're set.

> How hard would it be to implement this feature? Is it even possible?
> Would it be the right "way" to do it? Any idea? Thanks!

If you need a patch for Nagos 2.x I have one lying around; just let me
know and I'll send it.

- --
Thomas