Mass define servicedependency for NRPE services

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Wed Sep 2 03:02:32 CEST 2009

Hi,

The subject has already been discussed on this mailinglist but all
solutions I found did not satisfied my needs.

I would like to be able to create a servicedependency for each service
hosted on a host with NRPE installed against the NRPE service itself.

Unfortunately, servicedependency does not allow you to massively define
service dependencies against a single service hosted on the same host as
the service.

Basically, I don't want to have to define a servicedependency for each
host that has NRPE installed on it and even less for each NRPE based
service.

I would like to be able to use this definition:

define servicedependency {

   ; NRPE service for each hosts referred by services in nrpe-services
   ;   The NRPE service has previously been mass-defined on all hosts
   ;   with NRPE installed using a host template
   service_description             NRPE

   ; Every NRPE based services
   ;   Each NRPE based service is added to nrpe-services
   ;   using a service template
   dependent_servicegroup_name     nrpe-services

   execution_failure_criteria      n
   notification_failure_criteria   c,u
}

How hard would it be to implement this feature? Is it even possible?
Would it be the right "way" to do it? Any idea? Thanks!

Note: I think a similar idea has already been proposed here:
http://ideas.nagios.org/akira/dtd/2078-3955

--
Mathieu