Mass define servicedependency for NRPE services

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Wed Sep 2 05:07:18 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
> This had been implemented in Nagios 3, all you have to do is taking out
> the dependent_host[group]_name directive and the dependency will only
> affect services within their respective host.

Yes. I know about it and I'm using it somewhere else but in a different
way. I'm not using a servicegroup but list all services instead. It
works great.

>> Basically, I don't want to have to define a servicedependency for each
>> host that has NRPE installed on it and even less for each NRPE based
>> service.
>>
>> I would like to be able to use this definition:
>>
>> define servicedependency {
>>
>>    ; NRPE service for each hosts referred by services in nrpe-services
>>    ;   The NRPE service has previously been mass-defined on all hosts
>>    ;   with NRPE installed using a host template
>>    service_description             NRPE
>>
>>    ; Every NRPE based services
>>    ;   Each NRPE based service is added to nrpe-services
>>    ;   using a service template
>>    dependent_servicegroup_name     nrpe-services
>>
>>    execution_failure_criteria      n
>>    notification_failure_criteria   c,u
>> }
>
> Just add the host_name or hostgroup_name directive (you can put all
> hostgroups for instance, or enable wildcards and use *) and you're set.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. This explains why I asked the
mailinglist. If I do as you suggested, all NRPE based services will be
depending on the NRPE service on ALL hosts. (not only their respective host)

Here is my servicedependency definition:

define servicedependency {
   hostgroup_name                  hosts-with-nrpe
   service_description             NRPE
   dependent_servicegroup_name     nrpe-services
   execution_failure_criteria      n
   notification_failure_criteria   c,u
}

>> How hard would it be to implement this feature? Is it even possible?
>> Would it be the right "way" to do it? Any idea? Thanks!
>
> If you need a patch for Nagos 2.x I have one lying around; just let me
> know and I'll send it.

I upgraded from Nagios2 to Nagios3 today. I'm therefore using Nagios3.

--
Mathieu