RHEL/CentOS updates

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 19 17:46:08 CEST 2009

Hiren Patel wrote:
> jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com wrote:
>> To any package maintainers on this list,  any idea when Nagios 3.0.6 will
>> be patched with the latest security issues or be upgraded to 3.1 or 3.2?
>>

> it doesn't look like there is clear intentions of what versions are
> supported (meaning how many versions back from current release), what is
> back ported to supported versions in terms of fixes, and how often
> releases get done.
> there isn't even a freeze and test period before release from what I
> see, so all I might suggest is upgrading to the latest stable where
> possible.
>
> Ethan (and other core members), do you guys want to start addressing
> these issues?

The release process works fine. When 3.1 (unstable) hasn't had any new
reports of breakages in a month we cut a stable release from it. That's
a sort of inofficial freeze period right there. We don't have a billion
other projects depending on us, so we don't have to be quite as rigorous
as the gcc in our release process.

That being said, I'll make the final conversion of Nagios to git as soon
as I get 15 minutes of slack-time in my life, which means we'll be able
to cherrypick or merge fixes either which way without any hassle, so it'll
be done extremely easily.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.