eventhandler timeout 3.0.4

Ton Voon ton.voon at opsera.com
Fri Oct 31 09:00:46 CET 2008

Hi Sven,

On 30 Oct 2008, at 15:49, Sven Nierlein wrote:

> Ah, i had a look, but didn't found your post before.
> Solution #1 doesn't work, if i start my eventhandler
> in background, nagios still waits for the eventhandler to
> finish.

You probably have an open filehandle, which causes the parent to still
wait for the script to finish. Look at daemonising examples.

> So, in my opinion, there are 2 problems with eventhandler/
> notifications.
>
> 1. They are executed sequentially and blocking nagios while executed
> 2. nagios runs amok when the eventhandler gets into an early_timeout
> because the main process
>   wants to read from the killed pipe in a never ending loop.
>
> I wrote a small patch for the second issue, maybe someone with more
> c skills wants to have a look...

We saw a similar issue for notifications - thanks for your patch. I've
made a few modifications, attached. I don't know how you got it to
work because in your if statement, bytes_read would never be -1.

I've put the whole "reading output" section as an else, so we ignore
processing of the output if a timeout is considered.

I've also updated the debugging so that it prints the output
regardless of whether the calling function wants it or not, which
should help debugging.

BTW, if a SIGHUP or a SIGINT signal is sent while Nagios has a set of
notification commands for a list of contacts because of a host/service
alert, the signal is not processed until all those notification
commands have been completed. There probably should be a break
somewhere in that list. Another reason to make sure your notification
commands are quick!

Ton