Backslashes at the end of plugin_output

Ricardo Maraschini ricardo.maraschini at opservices.com.br
Wed Oct 15 16:30:49 CEST 2008

Hi,

   Some days ago somebody here point an issue on status.cgi plugin_output treatment when the output contains a backslash in the end, so I had the same problem again.  As instance you can see below a service status directly from status.log:

 servicestatus {
        host_name=SPO-PONTE109
        service_description=Lotus_DATABASE_Fatal
        <cut>

        plugin_output=Monitor.Last.DATABASE COMPACTOR.FatalText = Error compacting mail\

        <cut>
        }

    Reading the above from status.log, status.cgi brokes with a SIGSEGV. We patch the source to eliminate these undesirable backslashes, the patch follow this mail.
    The ideal solution is prevent nagios from store these backslashes in status.log, anybody here can point me where to look to achieve this "ideal solution"? The patch attached can broke something that I can't see?

-rm