Nagios User Interface Status

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Aug 5 12:51:59 CEST 2008

matthias eble wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 11:40 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> They aren't really rumors, as Ethan confirmed it personally at the
>> Nordic Nagios Meet in June this year.
>
> If this statement is meant for the public, it would be great to see
> similar information at NagiosCommunity.org, also.
>
>> What I heard back then was that he'd like to make it a dual-licensed
>> thing, making it free (as in speach) for all but gratis (free bear) only
>> for non-corporate users (home hackers, universities etc, etc).
>>
>> As for release date, I'm guessing he's polishing it up right now and
>> waiting to release it until the Netways Nagios conference in September
>> this year. That's just a guess though, but it's what I'd do if I was him.
>
> I thought that's why the "Community Advisory Board" was created, but
> some of the members didn't know about a new UI at all.

It's a bit tricky with the gui, since the licensing model isn't clear yet.
As such, it's still a Nagios Enterprises (Ethan's own company) issue and
hasn't been brought before the board. It has been discussed with other
people at op5, but since I'm on two seats I might end up in a conflict of
interests and so I made sure I never took part of the discussions.

> I'm perfectly fine with waiting, but an approximate date when the
> decision (not the release) can be expected would make things easier.

I can understand that. I'm sorry we haven't communicated anything yet
but, as I said, it's a bit tricky if it's even in the community domain
yet. I think wait-and-find-out is, as yet, the only possible solution.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se