Antwort: NRPE enhanced for larger data

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Tue Aug 5 09:59:46 CEST 2008

nagios-devel-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 05.08.2008 01:32:36:

Greetings Ton!

> We've made a change to NRPE so that it can accept more data while
> still being backwards compatible with existing NRPE servers. Can this
> be applied to the core code? More details at http://altinity.blogs.
> com/dotorg/2008/08/enhancing-nrpe.html

I've read the article, but I'm not entirely sure how you handle those
packets. Does it mean your patch raises the default size of the
packets to 16k? Right now nrpe allocates its maximum outputbuffer
and fills it with null bytes if the output is less - which is already
a pain in my opinion.
If you'd raise the output buffer from 600 bytes (or whatever it was,
can't recall it right now) to like 16k, that would spike up network
traffic tremendously and I'm quite sure that would break quite a few
setups. We already have someone in the german community who complains
about the useless ~400 bytes sent over the network ;)

Regards
        Sascha

--
Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk-  und  Systemmanagement

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Till Ergenzinger, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522