timezone adjustments for nagios 3

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Oct 23 12:09:56 CEST 2007

Grant Byers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have opinions on timezone adjustments per host or service?

I do. Don't do it. It will lead to no end of confusion if states appear to
happen at different times when they are, in fact, nearly simultanous. If
the timezone directive is for the benefit of the branch offices, you should
simply set up a nagios server at each of those locations and have them
forward their check-results to the 'master' server.

> We are wanting to replace our current in-house monitoring with nagios, but
> our single monitoring system pushes thousands of checks out to sites in half
> a dozen different timezones every hour. Some of these checks are timezone
> sensitive, whilst others aren't.

Can you explain what you mean by "timezone sensitive"?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se