timezone adjustments for nagios 3

Grant Byers grant.byers at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 01:42:24 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Does anyone have opinions on timezone adjustments per host or service?

We are wanting to replace our current in-house monitoring with nagios, but
our single monitoring system pushes thousands of checks out to sites in half
a dozen different timezones every hour. Some of these checks are timezone
sensitive, whilst others aren't.

I propose that service & host have "timezone" & "use_timezone"
attributes. Below is an example of how i'd [poorly] calculate a tz_offset
based on the "timezone" attribute.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Grant

/* get the timezone difference between local time & the given timezone */
long get_timezone_offset(const char *tz){
   char *tzlocal;
   struct tm t;
   time_t secs_since_epoch;
   long local_utc_offset, remote_utc_offset;

   /* save existing timezone data, if exists & grab seconds elapsed since
the EPOCH */
   tzlocal=getenv("TZ");
   secs_since_epoch=time(NULL);

   /* get local offset from UTC, in seconds */
   tzset();
   localtime_r(&secs_since_epoch,&t);
   local_utc_offset=secs_since_epoch-mktime(&t);

   /* set our timezone to remote timezone */
   setenv("TZ",tz,1);
   tzset();
   localtime_r(&secs_since_epoch,&t);

   /* restore original timezone */
   if(tzlocal!=NULL)
       setenv("TZ",tzlocal,1);
   else
       unsetenv("TZ");
   tzset();

   /* get remote offset from UTC, in seconds */
   remote_utc_offset=secs_since_epoch-mktime(&t);

   return (local_utc_offset-remote_utc_offset);
}