timezone adjustments for nagios 3

Grant Byers grant.byers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 03:00:29 CEST 2007

Hi Andreas, List,

Sorry about the delayed response, we were testing the multiple nagios server
implementation you recommended. See comments below.

Regards,
Grant

> On 10/23/07, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
> > Grant Byers wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone have opinions on timezone adjustments per host or service?
> >

> I do. Don't do it. It will lead to no end of confusion if states appear to
> happen at different times when they are, in fact, nearly simultanous. If
> the timezone directive is for the benefit of the branch offices, you
should
> simply set up a nagios server at each of those locations and have them
> forward their check-results to the 'master' server.

Our business doesn't fit with the "branch office" model. We have a support
relationship with many clients, but those clients do not have the same
relationship with each other. Each client may have as many as 8 unique Unix
systems which require monitoring and it is just not feasible to setup a
nagios server on each of those systems. Whilst each client may have some
checks that are unique to them, there is a large sub-set of checks that are
common across all clients, all servers. Each time we identify an issue with
one of our checks, this would need to be fixed then pushed out to all
clients. Each time the timeperiod for a common check changes, this needs to
be manually configured on all clients, all servers. etc. etc.

It does make make sense however to run multiple nagios instances on our own
systems, each initiating checks on our clients servers. We do this this via
ssh. For this to work though, we don't want to have a seperate server
(physical or virtual) for each nagios instance. What we'd like to see is the
ability to run multiple nagios servers on the same Unix server, each running
in a different timezone, each having their own timeperiods, services etc.,
but sharing as much "common" configuration with the master server as
possible. This would include host/service templates, commands etc. We tried
to do this by setting our server to run in UTC, then setting the "TZ"
environment variable to the desired timezone we wanted that nagios instance
to run in. This did not work, since nagios doesn't appear to have any
concept of timezone offsets.

> > We are wanting to replace our current in-house monitoring with nagios,
but
> > our single monitoring system pushes thousands of checks out to sites in
half
> > a dozen different timezones every hour. Some of these checks are
timezone
> > sensitive, whilst others aren't.
> >

> Can you explain what you mean by "timezone sensitive"?

Yep. Some of our checks need to run in the timezone of the remote server,
yet other checks scheduled for the same remote server need to run in our
local timezone.