Problems with 3.0b5 init script?

Hendrik Bäcker andurin at process-zero.de
Sat Oct 20 14:19:23 CEST 2007

J. Potter schrieb:
>>> ...  It seems that calling "service nagios reload" causes nagios
>>> to lose its pointer at the plugins dir, ...
>> ... can you please check the permissions of your etc/resource.cfg ...
>
> Hi Jörg --
>
> It was readable only by root -- which worked with the 2.x releases of
> Nagios. I had looked at this, but recalled that that files was
> supposed to be readable only by root so that on startup, it was
> accessible, but any sensitive login variables wouldn't be readable
> afterwards.

I guess the root privileges are dropped after reading the config files.
So for an startup as root nagios can access the file.

The reload just sends a HUP Signal to the process now running as nagios
user. So it won't work.

In my nagios 3.x installation the resource.cfg is owned by nagios.nagios
with file mod 660 like it should be (mentioned in the make file).

Regards,
Hendrik