logic/feature request for dependencies

jmoseley at pgtv.com jmoseley at pgtv.com
Wed Mar 21 20:30:56 CET 2007

Peter, I just reviewed the parental relationship documentation.  Yes, it is
true that if switch C has parents router A and router B and both those
parents go down, switch C and any children of switch C will eventually be
deemed unreachable and if configured, notifications will be sent.

The issue is that I want notifications for switch C and children of switch
C suppressed (via the dependencies config) only if both parents are down.
The current logic in the Nagios dependency code will suppress notifications
for switch C (and beyond) if only one parent goes down...  The repercussion
of this would be, for example, if router A goes down, then all
notifications for switch C and children of switch C would be repressed.
During that time while router A is down, if switch C or any children went
down, we wouldn't be notified.

James Moseley

             Peter Westlake
             <peter.westlake at p
             obox.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  nagios-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
             nagios-devel-boun                                          cc
             ces at lists.sourcef
             orge.net                                              Subject
                                       Re: [Nagios-devel] logic/feature
                                       request for dependencies
             03/21/2007 12:03
             PM

             Please respond to
             Nagios Developers
                   List
             <nagios-devel at lis
             ts.sourceforge.ne
                    t>

jmoseley at pgtv.com writes:

> This has probably been brought up before, so I apologize in advance...
>
> According the dependency documentation, when a dependent host (or
service)
> has two or more parental host (or service) dependencies, if just one of
the
> notification dependencies fail, Nagios will repress notifications for the
> dependent host (service).
>
> With lots of folks using redundant routing and switching, I'd like to see
> logic added to allow for configuration of a dependency setup that would
> require both parental dependencies to fail before repressing
notifications
> of the dependent host/service.
>
> For example, we have a switch C that is hooked up to routers A and B.  If
> just one router goes down, we can still get to switch C.  So in our
Nagios
> host dependency setup, we want host notifications for switch C repressed
> only if BOTH routers A and B go down (ie, both notification dependencies
> fail).

The parent dependencies, which are separate to host dependencies or
service dependencies, work in exactly this way. They are specifically
meant for representing network topology, so I think they would be
just what you need.

Peter.