logic/feature request for dependencies

jmoseley at pgtv.com jmoseley at pgtv.com
Wed Mar 21 18:06:14 CET 2007

Are you speaking of parental relationships in the hosts config file?  If
so, my understanding is that host check suppression of child hosts is not
inherited.  Ie, in my example, if both routers A and B go down, host checks
for switch C would be repressed, but not for any hosts that are the
children of switch C.  Also, this does not address service dependencies.

James Moseley

             Peter Westlake
             <peter.westlake at p
             obox.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  nagios-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
             nagios-devel-boun                                          cc
             ces at lists.sourcef
             orge.net                                              Subject
                                       Re: [Nagios-devel] logic/feature
                                       request for dependencies
             03/21/2007 12:03
             PM

             Please respond to
             Nagios Developers
                   List
             <nagios-devel at lis
             ts.sourceforge.ne
                    t>

jmoseley at pgtv.com writes:

> This has probably been brought up before, so I apologize in advance...
>
> According the dependency documentation, when a dependent host (or
service)
> has two or more parental host (or service) dependencies, if just one of
the
> notification dependencies fail, Nagios will repress notifications for the
> dependent host (service).
>
> With lots of folks using redundant routing and switching, I'd like to see
> logic added to allow for configuration of a dependency setup that would
> require both parental dependencies to fail before repressing
notifications
> of the dependent host/service.
>
> For example, we have a switch C that is hooked up to routers A and B.  If
> just one router goes down, we can still get to switch C.  So in our
Nagios
> host dependency setup, we want host notifications for switch C repressed
> only if BOTH routers A and B go down (ie, both notification dependencies
> fail).

The parent dependencies, which are separate to host dependencies or
service dependencies, work in exactly this way. They are specifically
meant for representing network topology, so I think they would be
just what you need.

Peter.