logic/feature request for dependencies

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Mar 22 11:25:17 CET 2007

jmoseley at pgtv.com wrote:
> Peter, I just reviewed the parental relationship documentation.  Yes, it is
> true that if switch C has parents router A and router B and both those
> parents go down, switch C and any children of switch C will eventually be
> deemed unreachable and if configured, notifications will be sent.
>
> The issue is that I want notifications for switch C and children of switch
> C suppressed (via the dependencies config) only if both parents are down.
> The current logic in the Nagios dependency code will suppress notifications
> for switch C (and beyond) if only one parent goes down...

If the host and all of its parents are down, notifications will be suppressed.
If one of the hosts parents are up, notifications will be sent normally.
If anything else happens, then that is a bug.

>  The repercussion
> of this would be, for example, if router A goes down, then all
> notifications for switch C and children of switch C would be repressed.
> During that time while router A is down, if switch C or any children went
> down, we wouldn't be notified.

If that's so, then you've found a bug.

I'm trying to locate the point where reachability is checked in the nagios
source, but can't seem to find it (although I'm not looking all that hard).

I'd advice you to test this and see what happens. If C goes down while A or
B (but not both) is down and you don't get a host down notification for C,
report it as a bug.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se