Deprication of parallelize directive and RFE.

John P. Rouillard rouilj+nagiosdev at cs.umb.edu
Mon Mar 5 18:17:38 CET 2007

In:
  http://nagios.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/nagios/nagios/html/docs/whatsnew.html

is this blurb:

  # Object Definitions:
    [...]
    * The parallelize directive in service definitions is now deprecated and no longer used. All service checks are run in parallel in Nagios 3.

One thing that I have had to use parallelize for is when service
checks use a shared resource. E.G.

   ConsoleLoginTest
   ConsoleErrorsCheck

that I wrote both connected to a given port on a cycaldes switch, and
executed two different commands to the gear on the other side. The two
couldn't run at the same time without conflicting. I am wondering if
the parallelize directive should be replaced with something like:

   description ConsoleLoginTest
   NoExecuteWith :ConsoleErrorsCheck

or more generally:

   description ConsoleLoginTest
   NoExecuteWith hostname:ConsoleErrorsCheck

to prevent conflicting tests from being scheduled at the same time?
In my case setting the parrallelize_check directive to 0 for those two
services didn't work the way I wanted in some way so I had to write
the local login in the tests themselves which was a pain.

I think being able to specify the execution exclusions in a similar
way to specifying dependencies would be a nice feature.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard