ndoutils and messages with host-down?

Thomas Seifert thomas-lists at mysnip.de
Mon Mar 5 23:25:01 CET 2007

Hey folks,

I'm playing a little bit with nagios3 and ndotuils from cvs.

I'm having a configuration with one host as the starting point (using
google ;)) to
find out if the web-connection of the server is working and using that
host as parent
for 3 other hosts which are only checked by ping.

Last night I got a message that the google-host was down.
Looking at the logs it seems like the other hosts were found unreachable
and the google-host was unreachable too so the web-connection was down.
Thats fine so far, also that I only got the notification for the
"google-host".

I'm trying to build a daemon that sends notifications only by the
state-changes (found in the statehistory table).

Looking at the nagios_statehistory table I only see "soft" errors and no
"hard" error for that down issue but one for the google-host coming up
again.
On the other side - looking at the nagios logs I see that one - there is
a hard-status right beside the notification.
---
[03-05-2007 00:20:46] SERVICE ALERT:
de-cix10.net.google.com;PING;CRITICAL;HARD;1;PING CRITICAL - Packet loss
= 100%
[03-05-2007 00:20:46] HOST NOTIFICATION:
thomas;de-cix10.net.google.com;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;PING CRITICAL -
Packet loss = 100%
[03-05-2007 00:20:46] HOST ALERT: web1.xxx.de;UNREACHABLE;SOFT;1;PING
CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
[03-05-2007 00:20:46] HOST ALERT: web2.xxx.de;UNREACHABLE;SOFT;2;PING
CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
[03-05-2007 00:20:26] HOST ALERT:
de-cix10.net.google.com;DOWN;SOFT;1;PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
[03-05-2007 00:20:16] HOST ALERT: web2.xxx.de;DOWN;SOFT;1;PING CRITICAL
- Packet loss = 100%
---

so what gives? Seems like ndo only records the hard "up" state in the
database and not the "down" state. At least for hosts - don't know about
services yet.

Anyone who can confirm or fix this? ;-)

Thanks in advance,

thomas