NDO - why not innodb?

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Tue Aug 21 02:02:29 CEST 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Hendrik Bäcker wrote:

> I've only heard that PostgreSQL might be better in performance and for
> this huge amount of data.
>
> I also do not want a flame war too, but I would just like to know what
> other people are thinking in the manner MySQL vs. PostgresQL.

In my experience, Postgres tends to have much better performance when you
start throwing things like transactions, foreign keys, and concurrent
reads and updates of the same table into the mix, all of which are things
that should probably be used by Nagios. I understand that InnoDB helps out
MySQL a lot with these things.

I haven't had much experience writing to an abstraction library, so I
can't speak to that.... but I would suggest that even if the abstraction
layer lets you use a database without transactions, subselects, or foreign
keys, don't stop using those things just so Nagios can run in more places.
Those are important features.