NDO - why not innodb?

Kevin Menard kmenard at servprise.com
Mon Aug 20 20:48:24 CEST 2007

On 8/20/07 12:14 PM, "Sébastien Barbereau" <barbereau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just adding my two cents here:
> The question of wether to use InnoDB or MyISAM, or MYSQL rather than PGSQL
> comes down IMHO to the question of your DB admin. I had mixed reports on
> performance with InnoDB and/or PGSQL, and I feel more comfortable with MySQL
> as I never had problems with it. On the other hand, InnoDB foreign key support
> is really nice considering the ndodb table structure.
>
> What would maybe be more interresting (for the community) is rather than stick
> to a specific database kind, use an abstraction layer in the ndo module.
> Therefore one could use whatever database you wish : mysql, pgsql and why not
> oracle or sybase? I don't think it really mathers to Nagios what kind of DB we
> are using (it should not).
>
> This could have a course some "performance" drawbacks in terms of query
> optimization ...

I generally agree with what you said.  One of the problems though is when
different DB vendors speak different SQL dialects.  You really need to make
sure your abstraction layer handles this well.  It may even preclude the use
of some DBs.  E.g., MySQL < 4.1 does not support sub-selects.  Not using
them isn¹t just a case of query optimization ‹ they¹re the only way to solve
certain problems without building an in-memory model of the DB.

--
Kevin