NDO - why not innodb?

Brendon Colby brendoncolby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:11:25 CEST 2007

On 8/8/07, Alessandro Ren <alessandro.ren at opservices.com.br> wrote:

>     I just would like to know the reason that the NDO DB uses myisam
> engine and not Innodb. If it is because of performance issues?
>     It seems to me that innodb would be better in the long run, having
> huge databases, am I missing something?
>     Thanks.

Greetings,

I just wanted to throw in a tip, since this bit me this morning. If you're
going to use innodb for your tables, I would suggest using this option in
your configuration:

innodb_file_per_table

This creates per table tablespaces (just like MyISAM does), instead of one
large shared tablespace (which is the default). The reason this is nice is
because innodb tablespaces only grow. To "shrink" a tablespace, you have to
dump all tables, delete the tablespace file, and re-import your data. This
can be a huge process on databases with large tables (which I just had to do
this morning). I'm not a DB administrator and this may not be ideal for
certain environments, but it seems wise to do when you have large tables
that may be purged from time to time. If your tables only need to grow, then
it might not be an issue.

Brendon