gSOAP communication between modules/plugins (WS-MAN)

Paul Millar p.millar at physics.gla.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 20:37:49 CEST 2007

Hi Sebastian,

On Friday 27 April 2007 14:23, Sebastian Ganame wrote:
[...]
> However, WS-MAN (along with WS-Notification, WS-Eventing, etc.) are taking
> the lead when it comes to Datacenter manageability. In the near future,
> most of the devices currently implementing SNMP traps for alerting (just as
> an example) will also support WS-MAN for device management, and maybe
> having the alternative to get there is one area that Nagios might/should
> investigate.

Yes, WS-Man looks pretty interesting.

Are you thinking this is something Nagios should be able to monitor (as in
some kind of check_wsman plugin), or that Nagios' current status should
somehow be made available via WS-Man?

BTW, out of curiosity, do you know of any kit that supports WS-Man just now?
There's a few software solutions out there, so I guess its possible for
existing software to be instrumented with WS-Man.  Looks like Win. Server
2003 supports it (and some Sun hardware) but I was wondering if anything else
does.

> I understand however that adding XML based protocols like Web
> Services for data gathering might impact Nagios performance, since both XML
> parsing (very time-consuming) as well as increased network traffic might
> affect Nagios performance. I really would like to listen to ideas and or
> opinions regarding this.

Well, from what I've heard, the killer for short interaction WS-based services
is actually the crypto stuff (e.g. validating the TLS chain of trust) rather
than serialising/deserialising the XML.  I guess if one can keep the
connection live (via HTTP/1.1 persistent connections), this can be mitigated,
but then you need something (Nagios-side) that stays alive between successive
probes.

If the probes are genuinely stateless, then RFC 4507 has some ideas about how
best to go about caching the connection-credentials, but I guess it depends
largely on what the server supports.

Of course, this isn't a problem if there's no security.  But since WS-Man
gives you control of the device, is anyone implementing it without at least
some level of TLS support (e.g. with just Diffie-Hellman)?

Cheers,

Paul.