gSOAP communication between modules/plugins (WS-MAN)

Sebastian Ganame sganame at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Apr 27 15:23:50 CEST 2007

Hi Mathieu,
              I was about to post a question regarding the use of WS-MAN technologies within Nagios (actually I know that it’s not there yet, but if it was in the roadmap or not).
  I understand that Nagios communication schema with plug-ins is pretty neat, clean, and (most important while trying to be as performing as possible) concise enough as to send and retrieve the least possible amount of data to and from monitored hosts.
  However, WS-MAN (along with WS-Notification, WS-Eventing, etc.) are taking the lead when it comes to Datacenter manageability. In the near future, most of the devices currently implementing SNMP traps for alerting (just as an example) will also support WS-MAN for device management, and maybe having the alternative to get there is one area that Nagios might/should investigate.
  I understand however that adding XML based protocols like Web Services for data gathering might impact Nagios performance, since both XML parsing (very time-consuming) as well as increased network traffic might affect Nagios performance.
  I really would like to listen to ideas and or opinions regarding this.
  Regards,

  Sebastian Ganame