NRPE processes hanging around

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed Oct 18 12:08:56 CEST 2006

Hi Ethan,

Just to let you know that we've discovered a problem on a customer
site where lots of NRPE processes were left around on the server.
There were significant packet loss detected by their network team, so
my guess is that SSL connections were being severed while NRPE was
waiting for them to be established.

The patch is to set a timeout for the overall connection of nrpe. It
would make sense to have a timeout for the entire fork of NRPE, but
since my_system sets a timeout, this is not possible.

Details here: http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2006/10/
nrpe_ssl_connec.html

Ton

http://www.altinity.com