Service dependencies

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest Thomas at zango.com
Thu Oct 19 08:51:25 CEST 2006

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but there were no follow up on this. I
just find myself in the same situation (need one-to one mapping for
every hosts) and remembered this old thread.

How hard would if be to add a flag in servicedependency definitions that
force every service dependency to reside on the same host, and ignore
missing services.

So I could write something like this:

define servicedependency {
  hostgroup_name                pool1,pool2
  service_description           Master service
  dependent_hostgroup_name      pool1,pool2
  dependent_service_description Slave 1,Slave 2,Slave 3
  same_host_dependency          1
  notification_failure_criteria c,u
}

And I'd get:
1: dependencies across services on the same host for every hosts defined
in pool1 and pool2
2: missing dependent services would be silently dropped.

Or to be more flexible different values for same_host_dependency could
determine if Nagios does #1 or #1 & #2.

If you don't like #2, doing #1 would already reduce significantly the
config required.

I never checked the pre-flight code, but I'd assume it shouldn't be that
hard. I guess all you have to do is skip dependency creation on
conditional statements.

Thanks,

Thomas