status file and event handler update order

Sean McKell mckell at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 30 16:45:41 CEST 2006

Thanks for that info - good to know.
But, I'm still in a bit of a box on this one.  As far as I can tell, there
is no way in an event handler to get current status on the host and all the
services under that host at once, true?
So, I refer again to my forum post:
http://www.nagios-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425&sid=0c0f0e49f1f54b3e7daf6917c5c2e920
(I note that this post has ~280 views, which is quite a few, so people seem
to be interested in it)
There I have a proposed code solution patch.
Would it be ok to integrate this into the 2.x and 3.x code?  What are the
ramifications?  Maybe it could cause too many status updates, slowing the
system down somewhat?
What other possible solutions are there?  It would be great to get this
fixed.

_____________________
Sean McKell

             Bruce Campbell
             <nagios-devel at vic
             ious.dropbear.id.                                          To
             au>                       Nagios-Devel
             Sent by:                  <nagios-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
             nagios-devel-boun         >
             ces at lists.sourcef                                          cc
             orge.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Nagios-devel] status file and

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Sean McKell wrote:

> OK, the host macros work like you said  - muy bien, thanks.
>
> Now, how do I get correct status on the services associated with a host,
in
> one event handler?  I want to gather the status of the services of the
host
> that match the state given by the macros.  Understand?

Assuming that you know the name of the services on the host, you can use:

             $SERVICEMACRO:host_name:service_description$

to retrieve the value of $SERVICEMACRO$ as relevant for host_name/
service_description.  Note that these will be as of the last check made
for that host/service, which may be some time ago.

There isn't a way to get, via the macros, a list of services on a host.

( http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/macros.html )

--
   Bruce Campbell

   A: It breaks the natural flow of conversation.