Service dependencies

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Mon Jun 12 11:57:43 CEST 2006

I'm sorry if this is the second time this message gets sent to the
list. I had a hunch that it didn't make it the first time I sent it...

============

Hi all.

I was actually wondering about the exact same thing Dirk was thinking
about! Such a shortcut would really help out in easing the use of
dependencies.

> Try this...
>
> define servicedependency{
> hostgroup_name windows-servers
> service_description NRPE_NT
> dependent_hostgroup_name windows-servers
> dependent_service_description Drive_C
> }

Ethan's solution wouldn't work if you look at it logically. Why?
Because you're telling Nagios that:
* All instances of service A in hostgroup X
* Depend on all instances of service B in hostgroup X.

Meaning that all instances of A will "fail" if -any- instance of B
goes down. That's not what we want to happen, is it? :p

Or am I completely off on this? Might be that I'm not reading this
correctly.

As Dirk said: it would be great if there was some shortcut for
telling Nagios that you want all instances of service A in hostgroup
X to be dependant of service B on -their-own- host. That way you
could take care of all dependencies for a whole hostgroup in a matter
of a few dozen lines of code.

- Thomas Sluyter (Cailin)

This thread is located in the archive at this URL:
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/nagios-devel.33.0.html?
&tx_maillisttofaq_pi1[showUid]=18830