Reset Flapping feature and/or prevent Flapping_Stop notifications from being sent

Dirk De Coninck Dirk.DeConinck at tst-us.com
Thu Jun 1 23:09:49 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I have a feature request:
Would it be possible to add a "reset flapping state" when a host or
service is deemed to be in a flapping state?

Reason why I am asking is that I educated the Windows Sys Admins at my
site to schedule downtimes when they have to patch their severs. I want
them to use scheduled downtimes as this is a set and forget feature
compared to "disable checks" or "disable notifications" that requires
the admins to remember to enable this again after their patch window.
However scheduled downtimes don't prevent a host or service from going
in to a flapping state (IMHO this should not be the case) and about an
hour after the patch window a Flapping Stop notification is sent out to
everybody.

Is it possible to somehow prevent "Flapping Stop" notifications from
being sent out, but keep the "Flapping Start" notifications. I only see
the "f" option for notifications to enable/disable all flapping
notification.
The problem with this also is that when the sys admin got paged at 3 AM
and resolved the problem, he/she will get another page about an hour
later just to notify that the flapping has stopped. A flapping state
reset would be a great help in situations like this.

Kind regards,
Dirk.