Service state on down or unreachable hosts

Horvath Tamas zsitfa at axelero.hu
Wed Mar 30 20:09:01 CEST 2005

Hi List!

According to Naggios documentation at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/checkscheduling.html#problem_scheduli
ng :

"When a service check results in a non-OK state, Nagios will check the host
that the service is associated with to determine whether or not is up ... .
If the host is not up (i.e. it is either down or unreachable), Nagios will
immediately put the service into a hard non-OK state and it will reset the
current attempt number to 1."

This behavior is okay for most of the scenarios. BUT:

I check Layer2 switches via ping and their important ports via SNMP. In my
scenario I defined these ports as services. I know it is strange, but as I
think it is the only method to do the right monitoring job in my scenarios
(switches in ring topology).

There were many times, when I can't ping a switch, but it works well, so its
ports were operating, just somehow its management interface went down. I
think it would be more precise that in this (and other similar) scenario the
service state would be UNKNOWN!

And what about services which are associated with UNREACHABLE hosts?

I did it with my plugin, but maybe it would be good in other scenarios.

I think that it could be a service parameter that which hard non-OK state
should Nagios put a service which associated with a down or unreachable
host. Does it makes sense?

Bye, Tamas