changing order in graphs

Joe Pruett joey at clean.q7.com
Thu Jan 13 22:53:28 CET 2005

i'd like to affect the layout of things in the circular layout.  i've been
looking at the code and i see that it just uses the order that things are
sorted by the config reading code.  that got me to thinking that i'd like
to be able to group things (routers first, switches, servers, hosts, etc)
without splitting everything up into hostgroups.  and that got me to
thinking that maybe it would be nice to have a data value for objects to
allow sorting to be affected.  i was thinking that just a simple integer
value that would take precedence over the main string name.  a missing
value would sort at the beginning (like a 0) and equal int values would
then use the string.  so putting all switches at level 10 and servers at
level 20 would do the right thing.

does this sound like a useful/interesting idea?  it doesn't look like it
should touch too much code.

ps: i've made patches that fix some of the layout issues with multiple
parents.  i'll be sending that along soon.