CPU leak on nagios-2.0b2

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Feb 24 12:29:17 CET 2005

I'm not sure I understand all of it, but I'll take a shot at a reply.

Dmitriy Kirhlarov wrote:
> Hi, everybody.
>
> We are try use nagios-2.0b2 for active monitoring ~500 services every 2 min.

Usually it isn't necessary to run checks every 2 mins, since this puts a
considerable load on the system (500/120 = 4.1 checks always running
simultaneously). See if you can put disk-checks stuff that doesn't
usually change very rapidly on a less frequent schedule. 15-30 minutes
should be enough. load and such (which uses average values anyway) can
also be checked less frequently.

> It's PIII-730MHz with 512 Mb of memory.
>
> Summary CPU load on this machine ~30% (we are looking on OIDs:
> enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuRawSystem.0
> enterprises.ucdavis.systemStats.ssCpuRawUser.0
> ) with SystemCpuLoad prevail.
>
> After 24 Hours summary CPU load on this machine ~85%.

85% CPU load is equivalent (roughly) to 0.85 as reported by uptime.
That's not very bad, considering any unix runs with great stability on
much higher loads (I've seen a Linux 2.4.29 loadedr 89.6 in 15min
average in testing without any problem what so ever).

> 5min timeout in 24x7 timeperiod not get any effect.

I sincerely hope you don't actually mean a 5 min check timeout, but
rather check interval.

> How in can be repaired?

The simplest and cheapest way is to raise the default check interval and
require less checks before a service enters hard state.
You can also make sure no un-necessary programs are running on the
server (like X-windows or a heavily loaded web/database server).

The most expensive and cumbersome way is to buy new hardware. Avoid this
if it can be helped at all.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer