ulimit for NRPE

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Feb 1 18:36:55 CET 2005

Jason Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:03:01AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>>This is simple enough to do outside of the daemon, so it will probably
>>not be implemented any time soon inside it. At least not without a
>>patch. Which reminds me. I've got to get going on that 2.1 release.
>
> Can you give me an example of how this might be done in inetd
> mode?

Possibly with xinetd. I haven't checked.

> I'd think that one would have to put the limit on all of
> inetd as opposed to just NRPE.

Yes, most likely. But that shouldn't really be a big issue, as it's most
likely preferrable to have all inetd daemons run with the same limits. I
also dread the bug reports it will probably give me since I'm guessing
it isn't portable without a lot of work.

>>simple syscall. Would anybody be interested in hacking up some
>>BSD/AIX/HPUX/Tru64 code for that? I'm thinking the equivalence of the
>>sysinfo(2) and statfs(2) syscalls on linux, for starters.
>
> I'd be concerned that doing so will lead to NRPE being part
> transport and part plugin which will lead to less stability.
> I suggest focusing on things to make it a better / more secure
> execution daemon.

You're not the first to mention this, so I think that's just what I'll
do. Thanks for the feedback.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer