Possible discrepancy in Documentation and Functionality of Nagios v2.0b6

Morten Werner Olsen werner at skolelinux.no
Thu Dec 29 09:08:03 CET 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 09:00:25AM +0100, Morten Werner Olsen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 06:54:31PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
> > The hostgroup still needs to be created. There doesn't have to be a
> > "members" line, but there has to be hosts in the hostgroup. You can thus
> > create a config such as this
> >
> > define hostgroup{
> > 	hostgroup_name  hostgrp
> > 	alias           Alias for hostgrp
> > }
> >
> > define host {
> > 	use        the_template_that_includes_everything
> > 	host_name  the_host
> > 	hostgroups hostgrp
> > }
>
> This works for me now after upgrading to 2.0rc1 (I believe it didn't
> in 2.0b4), and that is great! :) But this resulted in another problem
> with defining the hostgroups in template-hosts only:
>
> # cf template host (based on another global template)
> define host {
>        use		linux-host
>        name		linux-host-cf
>        hostgroups	cf-servers
>        contact_groups	cf-core
>        register		0
> }
>
> # cf-servers - host group definition
> define hostgroup {
>        hostgroup_name	cf-servers
>        alias		cf-servers
> }
>
> # cf-app1 - application server #1
> define host {
>         use             linux-host-cf
>         host_name       cf-app1
>         alias           cf-app1
> 	hostgroups	cf-appservers
>         address         10.0.0.21
> }
>
> [a lot of hosts]
>
> # diffhost - last host based on linux-host-cf template
> define host {
>         use             linux-host-cf
>         host_name       diffhost
>         alias           diffhost
>         address         10.0.0.43
> }
>
> The wierd thing is that diffhost is the only host showing up
> (webinterface) in the cf-servers hostgroup, and I also get warnings
> during the configtest about the other hosts having no services
> associated with them (I specify a ping-service to the cf-servers
> hostgroup).

Just noticed that diffhost is the only host not having a hostgroups
definition, so I believe this is not so wierd afterall, but just the
hostgroups definition from the template that is overridden for
cf-app1? I would like to see this work out with adding hostgroups both
in the templates and in the host definition, but it is probably
breaking the basic rules for templating in Nagios?

- Werner