Possible discrepancy in Documentation and Functionality of Nagios v2.0b6

Morten Werner Olsen werner at skolelinux.no
Thu Dec 29 09:00:25 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 06:54:31PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> The hostgroup still needs to be created. There doesn't have to be a
> "members" line, but there has to be hosts in the hostgroup. You can thus
> create a config such as this
>
> define hostgroup{
> 	hostgroup_name  hostgrp
> 	alias           Alias for hostgrp
> }
>
> define host {
> 	use        the_template_that_includes_everything
> 	host_name  the_host
> 	hostgroups hostgrp
> }

This works for me now after upgrading to 2.0rc1 (I believe it didn't
in 2.0b4), and that is great! :) But this resulted in another problem
with defining the hostgroups in template-hosts only:

# cf template host (based on another global template)
define host {
       use		linux-host
       name		linux-host-cf
       hostgroups	cf-servers
       contact_groups	cf-core
       register		0
}

# cf-servers - host group definition
define hostgroup {
       hostgroup_name	cf-servers
       alias		cf-servers
}

# cf-app1 - application server #1
define host {
        use             linux-host-cf
        host_name       cf-app1
        alias           cf-app1
	hostgroups	cf-appservers
        address         10.0.0.21
}

[a lot of hosts]

# diffhost - last host based on linux-host-cf template
define host {
        use             linux-host-cf
        host_name       diffhost
        alias           diffhost
        address         10.0.0.43
}

The wierd thing is that diffhost is the only host showing up
(webinterface) in the cf-servers hostgroup, and I also get warnings
during the configtest about the other hosts having no services
associated with them (I specify a ping-service to the cf-servers
hostgroup).

- Werner